Now that Apple is using Intel processors in their systems you can now run Mac OS X, Windows XP or both on a Macintosh computer. The Mac Mini is a compact and fast PC that has some nice features already built in. And if you are a Windows and Mac user then you can have your cake and eat it too! Here are some of the features of the Mac Mini:
- 1.66GHz or 1.83 Intel Core Duo processor
- 2MB on-chip L2 cache
- 667MHz frontside bus
- 512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) on two DIMMs; supports up to 2GB
- One FireWire 400 port (8 watts)
- Four USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
- Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM
- Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
- Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking
- Built-in Bluetooth 2.0
- 60GB or 80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive; optional 120GB or 160GB drive
- Slot-loading Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
There is only one memory slot so if you upgrade the RAM, you will be left with a 256mb chip
The hard drive is a 2.5 inch 5,400rpm laptop hard drive
The Mac Mini Supports an Airport card for wireless internet. There is a $129 upgrade kit that includes the Airport card as well as a Bluetooth card.
It comes preinstalled with Panther, the latest version of Apple's OS X operating system.
The Mac Mini will cost you $499 for the base model and you supply the monitor, mouse and keyboard.
Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data. Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have scavenge the Internet looking for them.