CRT vs LCD monitor comparisonz
- Monitor's size: Traditional monitors are similar to a TV because both of them have the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube). That is the reason for its bigger size. It therefore occupies more space at the desk. It is also heavy.
However, LCD monitors have thin flat screen. Therefore occupies very less space and is lighter than the CRT monitor. LCD monitors can be fixed even on wall.
- Display Size: Eventhough the display size of a CRT monitor is calculated diagonally, the actual display size is smaller. For instance a 17" CRT monitor will actually have a display size of only 16"
However, the display size of 17" LCD monitor will have 17" display size.
- Resolution: CRT monitors can show different resolutions. The resolution can be changed as required.
LCD Monitors will have Native Resolution and therefore has a fixed resolution. The best resolution will be the native resolution for that LCD monitor.
- Viewing Direction: A CRT screen can be viewed from all directions. And from different distance.
But LCD monitors cannot be viewed from all directions. LCD monitors can only be viewed straight. Therefore its viewing direction is limited. If viewed from other directions the colours will change and sometimes the vision will be unclear if not viewed straight. But in recent years the new LCD monitors have improved on this defect.
- Radiation Emission: The radiation emission in CRT monitors are higher. This will not be visible normally but it will affect eyesight and may cause head ache. Long term use of these monitors may even affect the eyes adversely.
LCD monitors do not have this type of Radiation emission. Therefore LCD monitors are good for the eyes.
- Electricity Consumption: CRT monitors consume electricity based on their sizes. This may range between 100 to 250 Watts.
LCD monitors just consume 40 watts. This is the reason for putting LCD monitors in laptops.
- Price: CRT monitors are priced very cheap. However they consume more power.
LCD monitors are priced higher, but they consume less electricity. Though the electricity consumption is not very significant for personal use, it is very cost efficient in big organizations with many computers.